Copyright ©2004 - 2011
& photo customization by
Site hosted by
There is no single source of information about the early settlers in Blue Mound, Missouri. One of challenges is what constitutes Blue Mound. It was never incorporated so there are no distinct boundaries. So, part of the puzzle is a matter of where you choose to draw the lines regarding who was or wasn’t there as an early settler.
I have listed below are the sources of info found to date about who was in the general vicinity in the mid to late 1880s and early 1900s. If you have additional sources or more information, please let me know and we will post them here.
From the U. S. Department of Interior, Bureau of Land Management’s website you can view the original land transfers from the Federal Government ( http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/ ). These are called land patents. Land patents document the transfer of land ownership from the federal government to individuals. Land patent records include the information recorded when ownership was transferred. In the early 1800's people could buy public land for $1.25 an acre, up to 640 acres. You can find out who got the patent and also view an image of the original patent at this website. You will want to use Township 56N and either (or both) Range 24W or 23W in Livingston County.
I have chosen one of the Land Patents awarded to Jacob S. Burner as an example of a land patent image.
Click here to view the Land
From the History of Caldwell and Livingston Counties, Missouri , O. P. Williams and Company, Published by St. Louis National Historical Company, 1886 (Re-Print by The Printery, Clinton, MO, 1972), 1,274 pp. comes the following:
“Settlements were made in this township (Blue Mound) as early as in 1835. The land came into market the following year when the first entries were made. Prior to the year 1840, entries were made by the following actual settlers in what is now Blue Mound township:”
Also from the same source as above, the author(s) had an alphabetical listing labeled “Biographical”. I did a little picking, choosing and guessing who might be an early settler in the Blue Mound area and listed them below in alphabetical order:
Byrd, James N.
This honored old citizen is one of the oldest and best known settlers of Blue Mound township, his home having been upon the farm which he now occupies since 1857. Born in Greenbrier county, Va., February 26, 1820, he is now little past the age of 66 years. His grand-father was an Englishman by birth, but when a child his father came to America and located in the Old Dominion; in childhood he and a sister were captured by Indians and held as captives for several years, and in after life Mr. Byrd ( whose name was John) retained many of the habits and characteristics of the aborigines. He was married in Virginia and reared a large family, among whom was John, the father of James N. Grandfather Byrd lived to the advanced age of 96 years. John and Rebecca (White) Byrd, the parents of the subject of this sketch, were both Virginians by birth and always made their home there, bringing up a family of 10 children, who have become useful and esteemed members of society in the different localities where they have resided. Their parents were in every way good and industrious people. James N. was brought up on his father's farm, receiving but a limited education, and for three years he served an apprenticeship at the blacksmith's trade, which he followed exclusively while in Virginia. In 1857 he came to this county, entered 820 acres of land where he now lives, and began its improvement, which by hard work and good management has become a superior farm. To some extent he has worked at his trade in connection with farming, though occupied principally in agricultural pursuits and the raising of stock. At this time he has 400 acres of land highly cultivated, and in its conduct is to be seen the superior management of a person thoroughly informed in his calling. Mr. Byrd was married August 29, 1844, to Miss Jane R. Myles, daughter of a well known resident of Greenbrier county, Va., John Myles, where she was born June 15, 1818. Seven children blessed this union: Virginia., John M., Mary A., Orlenah, Paul, Robetty and Mark. Mrs. Byrd died May 9, 1879, and Mr. B. married its. Eliza J. Steel, February 26, 1879. Her maiden name was Hannah, and she was born in the same county as himself November 1, 1819, becoming the wife of William Steel in 1853. They lived in Cedar county, Ia., some years, and then went to Illinois, and in 1870 came to this county, where Mr. S. died February 18, 1877. Mr. Byrd has been a life-long Democrat. During the war he maintained a perfectly neutral position, though doing much to prevent lawlessness at home. indeed he has ever been a staunch defender of the rights of man in all ways, and has thus shown himself to be a useful and progressive citizen. Few men in the county are better known or more universally esteemed than "Uncle Jimmy Byrd," as he is respectfully called.
Knox, Benjamin F.
In the early settlement of Livingston county and to the pioneers of this
vicinity, the parents of the subject of this sketch, Robert and Jemima
Knox, nee Shields, were well and favorably known, and their son Benjamin
shares in the esteem which was given them. They became located in Eastern
Editor’s Note: Mr. Knox died August 30, 1909 and is buried in the Blue Mound Cemetery.
As is well known Livingston county received a large immigration to its territory during the "fifties," at which time many settlers came in who have since made for themselves an honorable name in this community. Among others might be mentioned Thomas Paris, whose career is but another evidence of the possibilities young men have for advancement in the world, when supported by strong resolution to rise. Commencing life as a poor boy, and a farmer's boy at that, with scarcely any advantages for an education, be is now in possession of a comfortable competence, his estate embracing 265 acres well improved. He raises good stock of all kinds and keeps fully apace with the progress of his adopted calling in every particular. Mr. Paris owes his nativity to Monroe county, O., where he was born May 10, 1829, the son of Peter Paris, who was born in Paris, France. He was reared to manhood there and when about 18 years old became a sailor, and during the seven years thus occupied he visited many countries and acquired a knowledge of six or seven languages. In the latter part of the eighteenth century he came to this country and married in Pennsylvania Mary A. Hall, of that State, but of German ancestry. After the War of 1812 he located in Monroe county, O., and endured many hardships in making for himself and family a comfortable home. They both died and were buried in Monroe county. Of their 13 children, all but two are living and are engaged in agricultural pursuits, mostly in the Buckeye State. Thomas Paris was prevented from obtaining much of an education by duties about the home place. When 22 years of age, December 11, 1851, he was married to Miss Rebecca Watson, whose birth occurred September 11, 1835, in Guernsey county, O. The children born of this union were Henry, Mary A., Louisa R., John T., Jerome, Phebe J., Elmer E., Charley O., Benjamin F., George W. and William R. In 1852, Mr. Paris left Ohio and came to Champaign county, Ill., where he followed farming until coming to this county in 1854. His first purchase of 120 acres of land is now owned by George Hedrick and after a number of years Mr. P. bought his present place - one of the neat, comfortable homesteads of the county. During the war he was a strong Union man and for about three years he served in the State militia, the last years of the war being in the 44th Missouri volunteer infantry, and seeing much active service. Mr. Paris has always favored such things as he thought would build up and benefit the country and his fellow-man. He is progressive in his ideas and tendencies and a representative man in the community.
Purcell, Aaron T.
Aaron T. Purcell was born in Dearborn county, Ind., December 16, 1815. His
paternal grandfather, Benjamin Purcell, was a Virginian by birth and was
reared and married in Loudoun county, that State. During the Revolutionary
War he lived in Tennessee and served against the Indians; shortly before
the War of 1812 he removed to Dearborn county, Ind., and there died,
leaving 10 children, of whom John Purcell, the father of the subject of
this sketch, was one. He grew up in Tennessee and Indiana as a farmer's
boy, did not enjoy much schooling, and finally married Miss Elizabeth
Livingston, of Ohio. Her father, George Livingston, of Albemarle county,
Va., was for seven years a soldier in the Revolutionary War, part of the
time under Washington. John Purcell and wife had 11 children. After their
marriage they lived in Ripley and Rush counties, Ind., until 1836, then
moving to Pike county Ill., from whence five years later they came to
Livingston county, Mo., settling near the center of Blue Mound township.
They were kind-hearted, hospitable people, people respected by all who
knew them. Aaron T., the eldest child in the family, endured many
hardships in the settlement of the different localities where he resided,
and only had five months' schooling in youth. He came with his parents to
this county and remained at home until his marriage August 16, 1842, to
Miss Elizabeth H. Carr who was born in Claiborne County, Tenn., January
12, 1822. Her parents, John and Nancy (Rogers) Carr, came from Tennessee
to this county in the fall of 1841, lived many years in Blue Mound
township and then moved to Ray county. Mr. and Mrs. Purcell have the
following children: Permelia G., Susan R., John R., Benjamin F., George
W., Amanda J., Joseph S., Lucinda, Clayton 0., Ann, Cyrene and Missouri E.
Mr. Purcell and wife have been residents of this township, with the
exception of three years spent in Iowa, since 1841, and are now among its
oldest living citizens. Their homeplace is a neat and comfortable one. Mr.
P. has always been either a Whig or Republican in polities. During the war
he was a Union man, and his son, John R., was a Federal soldier and was
captured at Franklin, Tenn., and afterwards starved to death at
Andersonville. George W. Purcell, one of Mr. P.'s sons was born in this
township January 15, 1849, and has always followed farming. He now owns
200 acres of well improved land and raises considerable stock. February
23, 1876, Miss Mary A. Paris became his wife, her birth having occurred in
Livingston county, September 12, 1856. They hav'e five children: John W.,
Edley W., Marshall W., Lula C. and Ralph.
The first settlers located in this township (Blue Mound) in 1835 although the land was not subject to entry until the year following. Among those who made entries were William Mann, Nathan McCarthy, Alfred Reeves, Henry Walker, Jacob Stauffer, Josiah Whitney, B. F. Baker, Jesse Reeves, Joseph Knox, Orland H. Clifford, Elijah Preston and others.
And, from Past and Present of Livingston County, Volume 2. Biographies by Major A. J. Roof 1913.
CHARLES T. HOYT
Charles T. Hoyt is a leading merchant of Blue Mound, who owns and conducts a general store and is meeting with gratifying success because of his honorable business methods, his earnest desire to please his patrons and his close application. He is a native son of Livingston county, born October 16, 1872, his father being John H. Hoyt of whom further mention is made elsewhere in this work.
In the acquirement of an education Charles T. Hoyt attended the Vaughn schoolhouse in Fairview township and laid aside his books at the age of eighteen in order to assist his father with the work of the farm. He remained upon the homestead for seven years thereafter but at the end of that time established himself in his present business in Blue Mound. He carries the most complete line of general merchandise in the city, having a store which would be a credit to a community of much larger size. The neat and tasteful arrangement of the stock and the excellent line of goods which he sells have secured for him a gratifying patronage which has increased rapidly as the years have gone by. In addition to his mercantile interests Mr. Hoyt owns also an attractive residence in Blue Mound, in which he lives with his wife and family.
On the 12th of March, 1899, Mr. Hoyt was united in marriage to Miss Eva McKerow, a daughter of Andrew and Susan (Stagner) McKerow, both of whom have passed away and are buried in Blue Mound cemetery. Mr. and Mrs. Hoyt have two sons, Earl and Lawrence. Mr. Hoyt gives his allegiance to the democratic party and is active and progressive in all matters of citizenship, although he never seeks public office. He is identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America, holding a high place in fraternal circles of the city. He is very popular in Blue Mound where he is respected and honored for the many sterling qualities in his character, and he well merits the success which has come to him, for it has been won through business methods which neither seek nor require disguise.
JOHN H. HOYT
Since receiving his honorable discharge as a soldier in the Civil war John H. Hoyt has lived upon his farm of three hundred and twenty acres in Livingston county and as the years have passed has made it a most excellent and productive property. He was born in Ohio in February, 1846, and is a son of Caleb R. and Mary (Taylor) Hoyt, both of whom have passed away, the mother dying in 1853 and the father in 1873. The former is buried in Adams county, Illinois, while the latter was laid to rest in Maybury cemetery, in Fairview township.
In the acquirement of an education John H. Hoyt attended the country schools of Adams county. Illinois, whither his parents had removed when he was still a child. At the age of eighteen he laid aside his books in order to offer his services to the Federal government and was sent to the front as a private in an Illinois volunteer regiment. After one year of able and loyal service he received his honorable discharge and coming to Missouri bought forty acres of land, adding thereto, as he was able, until his holdings comprised three hundred and twenty acres, all located in range 23, Livingston county. He has continued to improve the property, building a good house, barns, granaries and outbuildings and installing the necessary farm equipment. He has thus added greatly to the value of the property. Mr. Hoyt engages in mixed farming, raising grain and keeping eight horses, fifty head of cattle and about one hundred swine. He makes a specialty of raising thoroughbred Galloway cattle, a line which he has followed for the past twenty years and enjoys a high reputation for the results which he obtains. Two hundred and fifty acres of this farm are under cultivation and all of the work is done under his supervision and direction.
Mr. Hoyt has been twice married. His first union was with Miss Amanda Messer, a daughter of Isaac and Margaret (Patterson) Messer, both of whom have passed away. Mr. Hoyt's first wife died in November, 1880, leaving two children: Charles T., a general merchant in Blue Mound; and John M., a farmer in Dawn. On August 22, 1883, Mr. Hoyt was again married, his second union being with Miss Octa Bowen, a daughter of James A. and Amelia (Purcell) Bowen, both deceased, who are buried at Blue Mound. To this marriage seven children have been born: Carrie, the wife of G. D. La Munyon, a railroad man with headquarters in Whitefish, Montana; Grace, who is a teacher in Columbia Falls, Montana; Verna, who is also engaged in teaching at that place; and Burt A., Mary, Gladys and Eugene F., all of whom are still pursuing their studies.
Mr. Hoyt is a democrat in his political beliefs, and fraternally affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He is numbered among Livingston county's successful citizens, but the most envious cannot grudge him his prosperity, so honorably has it gained and so worthily used.
From One Hundred Years in Livingston County by Livingston County Agricultural Bicentennial Committee, July 1976 is the following.
Jacob Stover Burner and Ola Burner Hooten
Jacob Stover Burner purchased a large tract of land from the United States Government, October 25, 1855, and later sold off parcels to others. He also gave a plot of ground for part of Blue Mound Cemetery. He kept forty (40) acres the NE ¼¼ of NW ¼¼ , Sec. 26, Twp. 56, Range 24, which has been handed down and sold to members of the Burner family for one hundred twenty years.
Jacob Stover Burner and wife, Eliza Cave Burner, raised a family of six children: Andrew, who was a lawyer in Carrollton, Mo.;
Mary E. Burner Mead; Susan M. Burner Hooker; John Samuel; Sara C. Burner Goff, and Thomas H., who passed away before 1899. All except Andrew lived and farmed near the Blue Mound area.
Some time later Jacob S. Burner and wife sold 40 acres (the NW ¼¼ of the NE ¼¼, Sec. 26, Twp. 36, Rng. 24) to Henry Bean and wife. Then on August 23, 1879, John Samuel Burner, son of Jacob Stover, bought this 40 acres back from Henry Bean, which makes this 40 acres 97 years in the family.
John Samuel Burner married Laura Isabella Haynes and farmed in this vicinity his entire life, having been given 40 acres, in Sec. 26, Twp. 56, Rng. 24, this NE ¼¼ of NW ¼¼ , as a wedding present by his parents, Jacob Stover and Eliza Cave Burner.
The family of John Samuel and Laura Haynes Burner consisted of 11 children: Laurenia, who married a Doctor Wooden; John Jacob, who married Ollie Holmes; Maud Estella married Herb Elsas; Virgil A., who never married; Sarah Ellen, who passed away at the age of twenty-two; Grover Cleveland married Christina Newton; Charlie Allen died at age twelve; Minnie married Roy Wooden; Franklin Ashford married Frankie Mathews; Viola May (Ola) married Thomas Hooten; and Laura Ann (Lena) married Roy Siders. All made their homes in Livingston County.
In August of 1927, Thomas Hooten and wife, 01a Burner Hooten, bought these two 40-acre sites, located in Blue Mound Township (the NE¼¼ of the NW¼¼ and the NW¼¼ of the NE1/4, Sec. 26, Twp. 56, Rng. 24), from her father John Samuel Burner, and have made it their home. Thomas passed away in 1946. They had three children: Marion, who is living with his mother on the farm; Martha, who married Fred Telaneus and lived near Chillicothe, but since his death has made her home in Hannibal, Mo.; and Merle, who passed away February, 1967. - Ola Burner Hooten
A list of Blue Mound Mount Hope Church members in October 10, 1891 was extracted by Nancy Campbell Hoyt and published in LIFELINES (a publication of the Livingston County Genealogical Society - 450 Locust Street, Chillicothe, MO 64601-2597) Volume 3 No. 3 (July 1989). The list of members includes:
And finally (no pun intended), some of the early families from the Blue Mound area that are buried in the Blue Mound Cemetery include:
Appleberry, Barnes, Baxter, Brown, Bunch, Burner, Burton, Byrd, Carr, Condron, Davis, Fleshman, Frizzell, Gibbs, Groce, Grozinger, Haynes, Hendrickson, Hughes, Hoyt, Johnson, Jones, Knox, Lowrey, Maberry, Marker, McAlear, McCracken, McDaneld, McKerrow, Mead, Minnis, Mossbarger, Newman, Newton, Paris, Perry, Purcell, Rockhold, Shields, Sloan, Smith, Sperry, Stagner, Whitacre, Wooden, Zirkle
For more information on people buried in this cemetery, please contact the CemPhoto WorkShop. They have a photo of each tombstone and a complete name index on a Blue Mound Cemetery CD. They also offer similar information on many other cemeteries in Livingston County on CDs, as well as a surname index in soft cover book format.
You may contact the CemPhoto Workshop on the Internet at: http://www.cemphoto.com , or at P.O. Box 1222, Chillicothe, MO 64601. You can also do a free surname search at their website.
Please let me know if you more information on early settlers to the Blue Mound area. You can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 3535 West Arbor Way, Columbia, MO 65203..
This Site ~
Churches ~ Early Settlers ~
Joe G Dillard